Sunday, April 8, 2012

Think Twice About Your Food

As a recent, ex-vegetarian and someone still critical of the food industry, the topics this past week have been particularly interesting to me. I have lately been considering going back to my vegetarian ways and all the texts we've read are starting to persuade me. However, after watching Food Inc I have realized that it's not only the meat industry that is severely corrupt. Even when it comes to grains, vegetables and fruits there is an extreme amount of waste and bizarre practices. I was particularly struck by the scene on Food Inc in which they discussed the end of seasons when it comes to produce, which I think we take very little time to think about.

Although, I am particularly inspired by farmers such as the one in the film who raised grass fed animals and did all his own slaughtering. While I was a vegetarian for over 5 years, I have never been against eating meat, I think it's a natural part of the food chain if executed properly. Pollen also touches on this in his essay when he discusses the farm in Virginia which allows animals to "essentially" be themselves. While these animals are still fated to end up on a plate, I can rest easily knowing that an animal was treated humanely, raised naturally and not processed on a factory line.

Speaking of factory lines, I was largely disturbed by the LeDuff article as well as the segment of Food Inc which discussed the same processing plant. To be honest, when I read the LeDuff article I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be fiction or an expose. This was because the information I was reading seemed far too extreme to be true, I didn't want to believe that human beings were being treating as poorly as the helpless animals they were killing, to treat both humans and animals as entirely expendable truly angers me. However, it was the visuals in the film which really hit hard, after seeing the demanding physical work and mental anguish of working in the factory I was straight up mad. Like I said, I have been thinking of going back to my meatless ways and this might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

No comments:

Post a Comment